Replying to an Invitation to a Scientists’ Ball:
· Pierre and Marie Curie were radiating enthusiasm.
· Einstein thought it would be relatively easy to attend.
· Volta was electrified and Archimedes was buoyant at the thought.
· Ampere was worried he wasn’t up on current research.
· Ohm resisted the idea at first.
· Boyle said he was under too much pressure.
· Edison thought it would be an illuminating experience.
· Watt reckoned it would be a good way to let off steam.
· Stephenson thought the whole idea was loco.
· Wilbur Wright accepted, provided he and Orville could get a flight.
· Dr Jekyll declined – he hadn’t been feeling himself lately.
· Morse’s reply: “I’ll be there on the dot. Can’t stop now must dash.”
· Heisenberg was uncertain if he could make it.
· Hertz said he planned the future to attend with greater frequency.
· Henry begged off due to a low capacity for alcohol.
· Audubon said he’d have to wing it.
· Hawking said he’d try to string enough time together to make a space in his schedule.
· Darwin said he’d have to see what evolved.
· Schrodinger had to take his cat to the vet, or did he?
· Mendel was invited because he was a man of breeding.
· Descartes said he’d think about it.
· Newton was moved to attend.
· Pavlov was drooling at the thought.
· Gauss was asked to attend because of his magnetic personality.